Sunday, December 21, 2008

This weekend's earworm

Oh the weather outside is frightful,


But the fire(place) is so delightful,


And since we've no place to go,


Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!


It doesn't show signs of stopping


And I've brought some corn for popping.


The lights are turned way down low


Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!


3" yesterday, plus blizzardy winds blowing everything about (they closed one of the roads in the west hills until they could clear the 8 feet drifts. 8. feet.), then freezing rain last night for a 1/4" coating of ice, followed by another 3" or so today. Woo, snowed in! At least, I really really really don't want to drive anywhere. Tromping about in my big boots and all the woolens I can stand is fine. Fortunately the gym is only 1/2 mile away.

I know anyone who's used to getting multiple inches of snow every winter is laughing and laughing, but when it's a rare event like it is here, it snarls up everything. If you want the ability to deal with months of persistent rain, we're pretty good at that. It's all in the specialization. It's a tossup whether we'll be able to fly out for Christmas - the airport's currently closed. (which is (guilty confession), okay with me, since I dislike traveling around Christmas anyway. I'll miss seeing everyone, but I hate airports at this time of year. This miasma of stress and worry just hangs in the air there.)

Frances stands at the door and won't go out, looking at me accusingly, asking what is all this cold white powder and would I stop it now please?

No comments: