Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Screw this "real" thing

I am the tiniest bit tipsy so I thought I'd preface this rant (sigh. And it is a rant. K the love monkey feels I need to be more even-tempered. He does not say so but I know he thinks it. I know by the look on his face when I get going) (also this means I am easily distracted, if it's not readily apparent by now) with that information for your entertainment.

So tired of this "real" thing. You're not a "real" X if you don't do Y. Who suddenly stood up and designated you the Arbiter of All That is Perfection in Craftiness? I encountered this years ago at a quilting show, when someone I don't care to associate with anymore declared anyone who didn't handstitch their appliqué was not a "real" quilter. Screw that. It's all about mastering the methods that you choose to employ. It doesn't matter how you do so -- many techniques aren't even comparable. Making some kind of value judgment of people's worth based on their technique is ridiculous. I think that the care and craftsmanship that went into an object is to be honored.

Dammit. I'm out of adjectives. I'm tired and I still don't have a lot of free time. I'm whiny and jealous of my own husband who got to bike to work today and I haven't been able to be on a bike for weeks. I wish I were a better person. I'm supposed to have come up with something for dinner (any ideas?). This weekend I was so obsessed, with just resting and not going anywhere or doing anything I knit almost an entire sock. On 2 mm needles (too small for me, it's for my SIL. 64 st ain't big enough for my clodstompers at that size. I'm getting a jump on Christmas). I have barely read blogs for weeks. I feel awful about not keeping up. Also, I cannot seem to stop wanting to buy yarn online, and I seem to have some kind of orange fascination that will. not. stop.

Bah. At least it is SUMMER. I don't care if it's 95, I'll enjoy it anyway.

Look, beer & a wedding (not mine, a friends') on a very warm summer night. Hoorah!

No comments: