Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pretty flowers

I can't really say I'm a gardener, but I've got a thing for the plants. Now, the place I live was built in the 1920s and has landscaping to prove it. I have no desire to kill the beautiful huge dogwood that overhangs the front of the house. Oh yeah and the soil = heavy clay, so not all that great of conditions (the calendula loves it. go figure). And K likes him some grass (bleh, grass. Not my favorite except to walk on), so I do most "gardening" in pots.

I'm a sucker for a pretty face so I REALLY should go nowhere near plant nurseries from April through September, but flowers! pretty! sigh.

Hey, I actually have some favorites and do some research and don't impulse-buy everything. Mostly.


This is my black-eyed susan vine, Thunbergia alata. I've been wanting to try this one for awhile. They're in a pot twining over the rusty bits in the iron railing, and the flowers are the most beautiful peachy-red shades. That's some sapphire lobelia growing out of another pot.


Lilac-colored lobelia and purple brachycome - aka Swan River Daisy. Leftovers from some other pots, I just threw them into a basket together. Worked ok, but they need some bigger-leaved things in with them so they don't look paltry.


Some of the big peach roses growing out front. Lesson to me for this summer: if you water the roses, they get don't get as diseased. Yeah, I know, duh.

No comments: