Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Portland!

Oooh, come visit me!

Powell's is running a Free Trip to Portland contest! But you only have today and tomorrow to enter, because I am SO LAME about checking my email I just saw this link in their newsletter.

Once you enter they just sign you up for their newsletter, which is full of nifty stuff like book news and interviews and sales at Powell's, a superb book store. Seriously, it's just about the #1 tourist attraction for Portland, a bookstore that is an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK wide and long. Multiple stories too. You can unsubscribe if you hate the newsletter. Really, they are not evil people if you're worried about sharing your email address.

And if books aren't enough, there are 16 yarn stores in the greater Portland metropolitan area. I can think of 9 offhand that are within city limits. Woodland Woolworks is about an hour drive away. Or you could come for the Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival in September. It's about a 45 minute drive away. Do you KNOW how many alpaca farms there are around here?

Prefer fabric instead? Portland is home to Fabric Depot, the largest fabric store west of the Rockies. Who regularly run 30% off EVERYTHING sales, with the occasional 40% off all fabric sales on fridays-saturdays. You like the cotton? They've got 8000 bolts. Yes. OVERWHELMING. The place is as big as a warehouse.

I love Portland, and fall is really a lovely time to visit. Portland's a city of subtle but charming pleasures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a feloow Portlander who recently found your blog. I just wanted to say thanks for the link to that yarn shop listing.. There are a few I haven't been to yet and it was nice to read the mini-reviews on them. Great blog!

Big Alice said...

Hi Elizabeth!
Sure thing, glad I could help you out (mmmm, yarn). Some of the reviews are kinda old - Abundant Yarn & Dyeworks has branched out more in their stock, for example, but it's still a pretty good resource.
Thanks for stopping by!

Rabbitch said...

Dude, I didn't enter the contest and likely couldn't have anyhow seeing I'm not in your country, but I still want to come and visit! I do believe the outrageously talented Widmer Brothers have their little brewery in your town. I might just spend a week there ...