Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Goddess of Domesticity called and she'd like her canning jars back

It's been kind of a down and out, nothing happening week (except last weekend! But I don't have pictures yet), so I thought I'd show you some glamour shots of what I did a couple weeks ago:


Canned my own frickin' peaches, baby!

I know, I know. It's not much of an achievement. Still, I feel like some kind of domestic superhero. Super power: Preserving My Own Food. Oh yeah.

Here's my setup. Why yes, that's a gas stove next to the refrigerator. Nice arrangement, eh? Crack monkeys designed my kitchen.


I didn't do very many because this was kind of an experiment. I get all teary and buy too many peaches (or raspberries, or blueberries, etc.) at the end of the season, because it's a long 320 days until the next peaches arrive. There was no way I was going to be able to eat all those peaches before they went bad, so I thought I'd try this. You can see that I sort of sucked at filling the jars at first but I got better by the end. The peaches in the beginning jars are defying gravity, they've got so many bubbles in them.


It was really easy, just a bit awkward. I've canned jam before but this was my first foray into fruit. I feel slightly embarrassed because my grandmother & mother have canned food for years and years, and I shouldn't be feeling this ego boost over 4 measly bottles.

But they all sealed! And mmm will they taste good in January.

No comments: