Thursday, February 11, 2010

A list


  • I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this fibre dyeing thing.

  • The roving from tuesday turned out really well. The secret seems to be DON'T TOUCH 'TIL IT'S DRY WE REALLY MEAN IT.

  • I'll occasionally spell things British-ly, such as 'fibre'. 'Gray' always looks wrong so it's always been 'grey'. It's not an affectation but when I notice myself doing it (thanks, spellchecker) I worry that it'll be perceived as such and maybe I should consciously correct myself to Americanized spelling. And then I realize I've got better things to angst about.

  • Back almost a year ago I was working on these stripey socks. I finished one but was unhappy about the toe (I'm not used to doing short row heels and the foot fit was unfamiliar). I finally got around to ripping out the toe (for about the 4th time... which is why it took a long time to get around to it again) and redoing. Now I'm on the 2nd sock. They're cute but I forgot what a pain knitting this single is. Oh take me down to Splitty City where the yarn is smooth and the plies are pretty.

  • I just watched CSA: The Confederate States of America and enjoyed it immensely. It's a faux documentary of the US if the Confederacy had won the Civil War, complete with fake commercials/ It's very clever (the comparison show to "Cops" had me busting out laughing). The most interesting part for me is that I watched all this fake history and then wondered just how much of the history I'm familiar with was glossed over, prettied up, or just invented wholecloth. Sure, I know that logically, the answer is "a lot. Pretty much almost everything", but most of the time that doesn't really register, viscerally. Also I started examining what cultural items that I just take for granted -- are they innocuous or am I just making that assumption because that's the way it's always been?

  • Your candidate for office may be evil, but is he a DEVIL SHEEP??!? (disclaimer: I watched only the first 30 seconds of this, with no sound. It was still funny)

No comments: